Monmouth Diocese grapevine logo

Usk Ministry Area

Update from the Ministry Area Leadership Team

Dear friends and parishioners in and around Usk,

Who would have thought even a week ago that we would now be facing a Sunday kept apart from each other and unable to worship together at this time of uncertainty. It is times like this that we most value the opportunity to be together and to collectively pour out our hearts to our Heavenly Father. Yet that is the one thing we cannot do. So we must find new ways of being together in worship. Thanks to the radio and internet there are a number of ways we can come together in the virtual world. You may well have already identified some yourselves, but here are just a few suggestions for tomorrow Sunday 22nd. March and beyond

8.10        BBC Radio 4 Sunday Worship with the Archbishop of Canterbury

10.00     Raglan Ministry Area is experimenting with a virtual Morning Prayer.

                  More details at:

10.30    Sunday Service live streamed from Newport Cathedral. This can be viewed on You tube and the link is here –

Bishop Cherry will also be sharing a weekly reflection broadcast via the Monmouth Diocese page on Facebook live every Tuesday at 5pm (details to follow)

We here in the Usk Ministry Area are also looking at how we can connect with you. Social media is one way but some will not have the internet and so we must find other ways to keep in touch. In the meantime we must all remember we are not alone. God our creator loves us more than we love ourselves and his Holy Spirit is there for each one of us to comfort, sustain and strengthen us even in the loneliness of the quiet and dark hours of our long nights.

In Paul’s letter to the Philippians he said ‘’Do not be anxious about anything but in every situation present your prayers and petitions to God with thanksgiving.’’

Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

With our love and prayers,

The Clergy and Leadership team, Graham, Pam, Bob and Bill.

Sunday Morning Virtual Prayer with Kevin

You may be interested in the virtual worship arranged by Rev’d Kevin Hasler at Raglan Ministry Area planned for at 10 am each Sunday, using Common Worship from the Church of England. Kevin has kindly agreed to extend the invitation and the number of participants to include members of Usk MA. Please see the invitation below. 
To join this service you will need a computer or mobile device and download ‘Zoom’ software. 
If you are not familiar with Zoom I would suggest you download and test before Sunday,  more information can be found via this link
1. Before the meeting you need to download the Zoom app by following this link

2. Once the app is downloaded you will need to open and sign in entering your name and email address

3. You will be sent an email from Zoom to activate account and to set up a password  (check junk mail if it appears not to have arrived) 

4. Having activated you account, return to the Zoom app and sign in using your email and password. 

5. On Sunday at 10am follow the link in the email below (note you may need to check your settings- privacy to ensure the microphone is switched on).
At this time we are unable to access the service via the telephone conference facility.
Please do not hesitate to email me should you have any difficulty with downloading the software and I will arrange to phone you before Sunday. 
Please can you share this email with you contacts across the Usk Ministry Area. 


Debbie Harper


Corona Virus Update

Due to the restrictions in place for the Coronovirus protocols, there will be no services of worship in any of the churches of the Usk Ministry Area of the Church In Wales.

The Priory church of St Mary’s Usk will remain open throughout these troubling times.

All are invited to enter and spend time in a peaceful and reflective setting which has welcomed  many generations of Usk people to help them endure difficult times and adverse perils. 

You may want to Gather your thoughts and offer your prayers, perhaps light a candle.

Be still and let God share your worries.

Ordination of the Rev’d Bob Greenland

Bishop Richard

A wonderful event in the life of our Ministry Area occurs this Saturday when Bob Greenland is ordained priest by the Rt Reverend Richard Pain, Bishop of Monmouth at Newport Cathedral – St Woolos.  The ordination service, to which everyone is invited, begins at 10.30 am.  One other priest is also to be ordained as well as a number of new deacons.

Following the service Rev’d and Mrs Greenland are hosting a reception at Model Farm to which friends, colleagues and folk from the Ministry Area are warmly invited.

Ordination is an important event in the life of the church when those called to serve the church are set aside with the laying-on of hands and anointing.  At our service the newly ordained priests receive a chalice and paten, a priests stole and a bible as the essential tools of the role and calling.

Apostolic succession is considered an essential and necessary concept for ordination, in the belief that all ordained clergy are ordained by bishops who were ordained by other bishops tracing back to bishops ordained by the Apostles who were ordained by Christ, the great High Priest, who conferred his priesthood upon his Apostles.

There are three “degrees” of ordination (or holy orders): deacon, presbyter, and bishop. Both bishops and presbyters are priests and have authority to celebrate the Eucharist. In common use, however, the term priest, when unqualified, refers to the rank of presbyter, whereas presbyter is mainly used in rites of ordination and other places where a technical and precise term is required.

Only a person ordained to the priesthood may administer certain sacraments, serve as the ordinary minister of giving the host during Communion, anointing the sick- unction, presiding at Requiem or Memorial services or religious marriages involving a Mass, or celebrating any Mass- the Eucharist).


Questions about Gift Direct Answered

Do I have to pay tax in order to use the scheme?

No you don’t have to pay tax, you can just choose to make your donations via Direct Debit and instruct us not to reclaim tax. You should clearly mark your form if this is the case.

Do I Need to instruct my bank?

You will only need to contact your bank if you have been making donations via Standing Order. (You will need to cancel the Standing Order otherwise you will have two amounts being taken from your account). The Provincial Office should be notified of any changes once you have completed the Direct Debit forms.

Can I still make donations directly to my church?

You can if you wish to make donations to your church by Standing Order, weekly envelop or cheque. if these Gifts are to be tax effective you will need to have a Gift Aid Declaration in favour of your Church. You should speak to your Gift Aid Secretary about this.

How will my Gift Aid Secretary know that I am make donations to the church?

The Provincial Office informs Gift Aid Secretaries on a monthly basis of donations and tax refunds being paid into the church account, and who has made those donations.

Can both a husband and wife use the scheme?

Yes if both a husband and wife pay tax they can use the scheme. However, they will be required to have separate Gift Direct commitments even if the donations are collected from the same joint bank account. The Church in Wales cannot accept a Gift Direct commitment in joint names.

How can I increase or decrease my donation?

You simply need to instruct the Provincial Office in writing quoting your Gift Direct reference number. This is your donation to amend as you wish; you stay in control at all times.

What if I change church?

If you change church and wish to redirect your giving you simply in form the Provincial Office of your wishes in writing quoting your Gift Direct reference number.

What do I do if I stop paying tax?

You will need to instruct the Provincial Office in writing as soon as possible. It is up to you to decide if you want to cancel the Direct Debit or simply instruct the Provincial Office not to reclaim tax.

How do I amend my monthly donations?

You simply need to instruct the Provincial Office of the new amount you wish to donate. There is an option to increase your donation annually in line with the Retail Price Index. If you chose this option we will still contact you in writing prior to the new increased amount being implemented. You stay in control of your donations at all times.

Can I make my Gift Direct donation by Standing Order?

No. The Gift Direct system is a Direct Debit system and so unfortunately is not able to receive donations by Standing Order.


  1. Everything you need is in the Gift Direct Leaflet
  2. Fill out the Gift Direct commitment form on page 7 and the Direct Debit on page 8
  3. Pull out the envelope section of the book. Moisten the glue area on page 6 and seal (you may want to add some tape at the sides). There is no need for a stamp, the postage is free.



Please contact you Parish  wardens or treasurer and if you have any questions in relation to the Gift Direct scheme, please contact the Church in Wales scheme administrator Glenda Edwards:

Telephone: 02920 348216


Or Write to: The Church in Wales, 39 Cathedral Road, Cardiff, CF11 9XF

Gift Direct is administered by the Representative Body of the Church in Wales, which is a registered charity. Registered Charity Number 1142813

St John’s, Llangwm – TEMPORARY CLOSURE

Unfortunately we have been advised to temporarily close St John’s following the Quinquennial Inspection until part of the  porch can be made safe.  Section 6.7 of the report says:

….there is significant sign of structural movement, and decay in the stonework, both of which are significant. The west gable of the porch presents a DANGER to users of the building and it is recommended the the church
should be CLOSED until the gable can be propped and then repaired.

The full report can be accessed here: 1062_St John’s_Quinquennial Inspection Report